Re: [eigen] A complex FFT for Eigen

On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Yes I agree, I too prefer the 1st solution: own specialization of
complex<double>. Actually I hadn't thought of that possibility.

Unfortunately, at least here in gcc 4.3, <complex> does specialize
complex for float and double. Not just as an external, but the actual
specialization is in the header. Which prevents us from doing our own.

Moreover, comments refer to what seem to be sections in the C++ spec,
so this is probably standard.

I see, that's a pity.

So at this point I want to say: OK so the c++ standard expects the std
lib implementors to fully take care of optimizing complex for float
and double, fine! So the next thing to do is to check the assembly
with some test program: enable SSE2 and check that the compiler really
produces vectorized code. An addition of complex<double> should be
vectorized for example. Looking at the <complex> header, there doesn't
seem to be any explicit vectorization, but perhaps they know that the
compiler does a good job here, or perhaps i don't understand what
these __real__, __imag__ pseudo keywords mean.

I've just checked, and g++ does not vectorize at all complex<double> :(

gael.

---