Re: [eigen] first benchmark of large and sparse matrix

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 7:38 PM, Schleimer, Ben <bensch128@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>   I didn't know gmm++ matrices were so slow either.

well, so far I've only tested  the sum which is not a critical
operation.  I guess they mainly focused on the optimization of the
matrix product and triangular solver which are the main bricks to
build linear solvers.

> I wonder if we could take the gmm++ algos and use templated eigen sparse matrices with them...

that was more or less the plan, but I'm not sure anymore because of
licensing issues....

> btw, how are you designing sparse templated matrices?
> Do you have any papers to point to?

well, nothing is fixed yet ! you might find some info on the wiki.  So
far,  I found that the most common storage scheme is the "Compressed
Column Storage" strategy:
http://www.netlib.org/linalg/html_templates/node90.html
so I started to play with it such that we are able to use optimized
backends for the high level algorithms. To manipulate such matrices,
the idea is to replace the for loops (random access) by Iterators: we
can specialize such Iterators for each type of expression, and we can
even nest the Iterators as we nest the expressions.
CwiseBinaryOp::InnerIterator is a good example of what I mean (in
src/Sparse/CoreIterators.h).

One of the main challenge with such a storage is to dynamically set a
matrix.  GMM++ does not allow any write operation, so you have to use
another kind of sparse matrix, i.e., a row of std::map and eventually
you do a copy to build your final and efficient sparse matrix. MTL4
uses a similar principle: they preallocate 5 entries (or more if you
want more) per column and they manage overflows using a std::map.
Currently I implemented something different which allows to directly
fill such a matrix under the constraint that the coefficients must be
set by increasing indices. I guess this is enough in most cases but we
definitely need something more flexible, at least to be able to
implement any kind of matrix product.

of course any idea and suggestion are more than welcome !

cheers,
gael