Re: [eigen] benchmarking weirdness

Thanks Gael for benchmarking on your CPU. Indeed it is much closer to what I
expected. FWIW, my CPU is a Core 1 duo at 1.66 GHz.

I ran the benchmark_suite several times with various small modifications in
Eigen. Results in attached spreadsheet. The most interesting thing is the
last column: here we see that there is no benefit in adapting the traversal
order to the storage order; instead, we get better results by always
traversing in column-major order even for row-major matrices. So I'll revert
that part of today's changes.

Regarding the slowdown of disabling asserts, I also suspect an instruction
cache miss. Indeed, disabling asserts means that more functions can get
inlined, which is harder on the instruction cache. That's why I tested
running the benchmark without using always_inline at certain places. See
results in columns C,D,E. The result is that indeed the slowdown is reduced
with column-major order, but not with row-major order. Meanwhile, the
always_inline are really beneficial for fixed-size matrices. More
importantly, the functions that I always_inline are trivial (one line, they
are of the form "return Constructor();") so it seems strange to me that the
compiler would not inline them.

I would indeed like to make Eigen ICC-compatible; the error that you describe
might be fixed by moving _RowsAtCompileTime from class Derived to class
ForwardDecl<Derived> (see in Util.h) or some similar trick. Help is welcome
here as I am very short on time and have not yet installed ICC.

Note that the standard workaround (such as used in TVMET) is to use an enum
instead of static const int, but this is not really convenient here as
Dynamic is set to -1 and C++ enums are not guaranteed to be signed. It is
still possible to set Dynamic to some very large positive value, and go for
enums, but then there are throughout the code some "Size>0" conditions that
would have to be changed to "Size>0 && Size<Dynamic".