Re: [eigen] benchmarking weirdness

Thanks for the updated patch, I just committed it as this list has been
notified. There is only one thing that I don't understand: why did you
introduce this random_ ? I reverted this change. Other than that, your diff
was applied as-is.

It's also interesting that the enum trick did not work! Also, now I remember
why my approach was legal C++: in the CRT pattern, the Derived and Base
classes are generated simultaneously.

Anyway, I'm very happy to have your patch.

Regarding inlining, you could edit the EIGEN_ALWAYS_INLINE define in Util.h
and set it to whatever is appropriate when the compiler is ICC.

I don't really understand how there can be a failed assert... the first thing
to do is to run test/test in gdb to get a backtrace; the second thing to do
is to track down the precise line of code in test/*.cpp that triggers the
failed assert.

I don't know much about vectorization and didn't know that -fno-exceptions
played a role here. Maybe then GCC would also be able to vectorize? In
benchmark_suite I didn't ask it to, so it's no wonder why it didn't
vectorize. But of course, I don't expect GCC's x86 assembly backend to be as
good as ICC's one.

> and for your information, the 3x3 example takes about 15s without
> expression template (with GCC and manual unrolling).

Here I don't understand what you are saying. Are you mixing up "unrolling by
meta-programs" and "expression templates" ? There is no way that you can use
Eigen2 without expression templates as that would amount to rewriting it all
from scratch; also, expression templates are not directly related to
unrolling. If you want to see what performance would be without expression
templates, use Eigen1 instead of Eigen2. You should get 30%-50% lower speed
in this example.

PS. Feel free to join #eigen on freenode for discussion.