Re: [eigen] Eigen 2, expression templates, and tvmet

On Wednesday 06 June 2007 22:18:09 Tommi Rantala wrote:
> On Tue, 29 May 2007, Benoît Jacob wrote:
> > Note that both TVMET and GMM++ are licensed under the LGPL. So I think
> > we're
>
> BTW, did you read the TVMET license carefully? It actually seems to be
> LGPL+addendum.

Nice catch, I hadn't read it but indeed I can see the addendum on the website.

Most of its clauses are benign because they do not place any additional
restriction on redistribution. Clauses 1,2,3 actually restrict the possible
redistribution restrictions, so they're our friends. Clause 0 is only a
preamble. Clause 4 is just stating some common sense.

But there is one annoying clause, that is clause 5. This is a plain
advertising clause.

However, I think that is not an issue because it is not said anywhere that the
license addendum itself applies to derivative works. The LGPL applies
recursively to derivative works, but AFAICS it is not said anywhere that the
tvmet license addendum applies recursively too. In other words: clause 5 only
forces _us_ to advertise tvmet (which I intended to do anyway, see TODO), but
we don't need to force this advertising clause our own users. So I think
there's no problem.