[eigen] Fwd: Re: tvmet: licensing question for a project based on tvmet source code

Just for the record, I forward Olaf's mail.

-Benoit

Subject: Re: tvmet: licensing question for a project based on tvmet source
code
Date: Saturday 09 June 2007
From: Olaf Petzold <tvmet@xxxxxx>
To: Benoît Jacob <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Benoît ,
> Hello Olaf,
>
> I'm developing a software project, Eigen2, that is based on tvmet 1.7.1
source
> code. To be precise, Eigen2 is a C++ template library for linear algebra,
and
> many of its own source files are taken from tvmet. In a sense, you could say
> it's a "fork" of tvmet, but in a very positive sense. I am mixing together
> code from three different existing libraries (tvmet, eigen1, gmm++) in order
> to hopefully create an even better linear algebra library.

hopefully this will close the gape for the linear algebra packages for
small sizes. tvmet miss some functionality like lu decompostion etc. I
never found the time to implement this (tvmet was developed over a
couple of years).
> I am writing this to ask for your confirmation that I am allowed to
> redistribute Eigen2 under the plain unmodified GNU LGPL license.
>
> I have seen that tvmet has an addendum to the LGPL. This addendum contains
an
> advertising clause (Clause 5). I want to redistribute Eigen2 without any
> advertising clause. I _will_ advertise tvmet very generously on the Eigen
> website and documentation. Actually, I am already advertising tvmet on
> Eigen's website (eigen.tuxfamily.org). But while _I_ am perfectly fine with
> advertising tvmet, I don't want to force _Eigen's users_ to do so.
> Advertising clauses also lead to many licensing problems on which I could
> elaborate.
>
> As far as I can see, it isn't said anywhere that the addendum itself must be
> kept in derivative works. So there are chances that I didn't even need to
> write this e-mail. However, there are also chances that I do need your
> confirmation, so I would feel relieved to read back from you.
Mmh, the advertising clause has the task to advertise tvmet. The goal is
clear I think. tvmet is well know but I never found a final software
which used it. This is the other point.

Well, I think Eigen2 derived from tvmet mentioned (with URL) at your
home page (as you did before), this should be enough. Can you live with it?

Cheers,
Olaf