Re: [cllfst] Scaling PostgreSQL

Salem alaykom,

I see.
You can use Docker to easily create and migrate you application stack including PostgreSQL and all stuff (dependencies for instance).
Some tutos to start with :
How to containerize a Python web applications.
How to use a PostgreSQL image.
Docker PostgreSQL How-To.

Best regards,
Ahmed

Thanks ahmed,
I mean putting the postgresql and his dependencies in an external storage and make it possible to run the server after i copied it in a machine. It's like the bitnami stack with django.. I want to create one with postgresql,python,web2py.
I hope it's clear enough.
w barakallahou fik.

Salem alaykom,

@khaireddine, you mean distribute the database on several machines (sharding) or just put the PostgreSQL data in a/an remote/external storage disk (machine 1) and keep the PostgreSQL daemon/service in another machine (machine 2) ?

The two options are possible but, indeed, I do not recommend the second one for PostgreSQL. When you use NFS (or other remote file system) to mount the remote partition this can cause limitation in data reliability or crash recovery problems as they do not have the same characteristics as a local file system.

Regards,
Ahmed