[cllfst] Open Source Network Simulation Players

Open Source Network Simulation Players

A number of open source network simulators are available like ns-2, MaRS, REAL, SSFNet, OMNeT++ & J-Sim. I have outlined two of the most popular, SSFNet & J-Sim.

SSFNet

The SSFNet is a mature network simulation tool started in 1998. Most SSFNet components are licensed under the GNU General Public License. SSFNet is made up of the following components:

A number of tutorials are available on the website.

J-Sim

J-Sim is a network simulator with a Java™ based simulation engine. J-Sim can be extended using Java classes. Models can also be constructed using Java too, though most people will probably prefer to use one of a number of supported scripting languages to do the modeling, like Perl, TCL or Python. A new Java based GUI tool is also available for constructing models.

Of the two tools I have described here, J-Sim is aimed towards people who are comfortable with their favorite programming language. SSFNet does have a language to learn, but it is not as onerous a task as learning a language like Perl or Python. Having said that, the GUI modeling tool available as part of the J-Sim package looks promising. If GUI modeling tool delivers then you will be relieved of the burden of learning a language like Perl. This will certainly lower the threshold necessary to use the J-Sim tool.

Commercial Network Simulation Players

OPNET® Modeler

OPNET® Modeler claims to be the first commercial available network simulator tool. It was first developed at MIT. The website does a good job of explaining the tool with a nice web-based demo. The tool looks just the job, with a nice graphical editor for all of your network modeling needs.

NetRule®

Rarely have I seen a worse set of product pages than the NetRule® website. I’ll be polite and call it functional. I sure hope their product is better than the website. But, they have been around for a long time so one must assume it is.

--
Mohamed Ben Bouzid
R&D Engineer  • SunGard Asset Arena Investment Acounting • GP3 Development Department •