Re: [casetta] Ideas for version 0.4 of casetta /GPLv3

Hello,

Fabien ANDRE a écrit :
> Sorry, I don't want to take your job or to force you to act quickly.
> Don't feel obliged to answer to my mails so rapidly and to work until 2
> o'clock in the morning !

Don't worry about it, it's not me who work until 2 o'clock am, but the
clock of my computer who turn too quickly.

> This roadmap looks good to me !

I'll write this draft in the website (with a big DRAFT in the title).

> *About Casetta
> *Could you move making a better img_to_basic to optional items. I am not
> sure I will suceed. :-)

Ok.

> I looked at the link about drawsats. I didn't
> know this system...
> This is really faster than drawing F-Lines (To draw 100 squares (with 20
> pixels side), it takes ~40s with F-lines and ~30s with drawstats). I
> will try to create an algorithm to transform Pictures to drawstat.

Good luck ! It seems to be more difficult than the F-Linux algorithm.

> I saw (on the forum thread), that you want to integrate a  C tool
> (xfer9860) with Casetta... As you said there are various ways to do that...
> 1. Using command line. This is simple but not very good... (Python
> modules : os, subprocess (the best),pexpect (for software who don't used
> stdin/stdout/stderr))
> 2. Natively open c libraries using the ctypes python module. I think
> this is the best solution, good and not too complicated.I have one
> example, in which we import the native C fopen library : (As I saw there
> is only functions and not classes)
>
> from ctypes import *
>
> libc = cdll.LoadLibrary("libc.so.6")
>
> # C Function : FILE * fopen(const char name[], const char mode[]) # FILE
> * is a pointer on a FILE structure
> py_fopen = libc.fopen
> fopen.argtypes = [c_char_p,c_char_p] # Takes two C strings : I don't if
> you have ever programmed in C, but in C, string are table of char and in
> C, table are    pointers (eg : char *var is exactly the same as char var[])
> fopen.restype = c_int
>
> # Using this function
> f = fopen("test.dat","w") # Be careful : f cannot be now used as a
> python pseudo-file object
>
> 3.  Use the the dl module. This is a good choice for *nix (very simple
> to use) be it is not compatible with Windows.
> 4. Using "adaptators" like swig, sip (Used by PyQT) and boost-python
> (C++). This a good solution but quite complicated !

I'll choice between 1 or 2 when xfer9860 will be more advanced. For the
2, I need to learn a bit more about C (but I'll do it anyway).
The 3 is not interesting because I want to avoid any OS dependency.
(It's one of the biggest lack of proprietary casio softwares, with the
fact they are proprietary.)

> There is also an ENORMOUS problem on the french presentation page. Yes,
> there is not screenshot !

Oh yes! It's a critical issue.

>>> - Picture Extractor from backups (I have one, which uses the white sheet
>>> to detect a picture in a backup because color bytes and son are not
>>> stored in backups). It is not so bad..
>>>

>> If we are sure to not extract non-picture data, no problem. It's easy to
>> implement it with regular expression.
>>
> I have already implemented it (I have a draft on my HDD,), but I am not
> really sure it *only extract picture data. *That's the problem. For now
> it extracts all pictures plus the "draw memory" which is stored exactly
> like a picture. But I have to test it more...

Ok, good luck.

>>> - Better img_to_basic function
>>
>> No problem if you have some idea to improve it. I'll not work on this
>> functionality until a full support of all casio models in casetta :-)
>>
> I understand theses function (img_to_basic, backup extractor) are
> optional and that it is not the main aim of casetta. But they are cool
> features which make the software better :-)

It's true! And I accept all good contributions to make casetta being a
cool casio manager / IDE for casio basic.

>> And... what's your opinion about GPLv3? Asher256 and I are ok to switch
>> in GPLv3 only, your are the last author of casetta code, your choice
>> will be the choice for the project!
>>
> To be completely honest, I had not read the GPLv3 license when it was
> out. I have just read the French translation (and the link you gave in a
> previous mail, which is an excellent document)...
> About that, the first thing I want to say is that I am not a legal
> expert and I don't understand the whole content of the license ! So I
> trusted the author of Veni Vedi Libri article. I think there are some
> very interesting improvements in this license (according to me) :
> [...]
> As you see, there are more improvements than points I disagree with so
> finally, I agree to switch my code to "GPLv3 only" !

GPLv3 only, or [GPLv3 or any later version] ?
Currently, the code is under [GPLv2 or any later version].
The "any later version" statement allow the code to be protected by
newest version of the GPL which can protect the code and the freedom
against threats that didn't exist today.
(Like the [GPLv2 or any later version] give the protections from the
GPLv3 for the casetta code, but only if the user want them.)

> *About a forum
>
> *I agree with the idea of a forum. This is definitely more convenient
> than a mailing list ! But, I think this is not the right time, it may be
> good to wait until wa have better support for more calculators and more
> functionnalities

So, maybe for the 0.4. Or perhaps we can ask for a casetta section in an
already existing casio forum?

Cheers,
--
Thesa ~ Florian Birée
e-mail : florian@xxxxxxxxxx
Messagerie Instantanée Jabber/XMPP/Google Talk : florian.biree@xxxxxxxxx
Site web : http://florian.biree.name/
Carnet web : http://filyb.info/
begin:vcard
fn;quoted-printable:Florian Bir=C3=A9e
n;quoted-printable:Bir=C3=A9e;Florian
org;quoted-printable:Universit=C3=A9 Toulouse III : Paul Sabatier;Licence STS
adr:;;118, route de Narbonne;Toulouse Cedex 9;;31062;France
email;internet:florian@xxxxxxxxxx
title;quoted-printable:=C3=89tudiant
tel;fax:0959465803
tel;home:0954465803