[cairo-compmgr] Inconsistent Animations For Windows and Menus Leading to Incoherent User Experience Inconsistent Animations For Windows and Menus Leading to Bad User Experience Inconsistent Animations For Windows and Menus Leading to Bad User Experience

Hello,

It seems the composition manager uses different animations
when closing, opening, or focusing windows and menus. This
leads to a very inconsistent, tacky, unprofessional and
incoherent experience.

Luckily there is a __very__ simple solution to this problem. :-)

Use only __one__ consistent animation for opening and closing
windows, menus and tooltips.

Here's my proposal for a consistent default animation experience.

- Use zoom out (plus fade in) for all opening/focus animations
(windows, menus, and tooltips)
- Use zoom in (plus fade out) for all closing/hide animations
(windows, menus, and tooltips)

According to usability literature animations should execute
within 250 milliseconds. So set all animations to 250
milliseconds by default.

This consistency will pay off significantly. It will
automatically upgrade the look, feel, predictability and
coherency of the user experience. As a bonus, it might even
reduce the complexity of the code from several animations
per actions to just 2 main animations per actions.

I've had frustrating stability issues with Compiz, Metacity
and Mutter. In last 48 hours, I've had none with Cairo
Composition Manager. So I want to personally THANK YOU for
saving me the trouble of writing my own composition manager.

You did it right! Congrats!

Lateef