[cairo-compmgr] CCM kills any open windows then crashes

I'm running the current 0.3.0 release with awesome 3.4.3 and xorg 1.7.4 and whenever I start cairo, within a few seconds any windows I have open of a given type that have been focused will be destroyed.

So, because I start it in an xterm, all my xterms get destroyed, and compmgr dies.  If I start it external to X, then if I focus my browser after a few seconds the browser is destroyed, etc.

Has anyone else seen this?  I've tried a complete rebuild of the dependency chain but it hasn't made a difference.  I also tried xcompmgr in case it was a problem in a different part of the build chain and it works fine.