Re: [AD] Don't use Devpaks

On Sun 08 May 2016 12:32:05 PM Andrew Robinson wrote:
> Dev-Cpp is just a compiler, so any program written in standard C or C++ will
> work with it. The Allegro5 devpak is written for C++, which is not a
> problem, but the Allegro project website says that the Allegro5 libraries
> are written in C, not C++, so whoever is writing these Allegro5 devpaks, is
> only providing a C++ version. Sounds like someone needs to make an Allegro5
> devpak that is written for C. Is there anyone out there in the community
> that is willing to do that, or is the Allegro community dying?

Dev-Cpp is actually just an IDE, it sometimes comes bundled with Mingw32
(which is a compiler), but its pretty ancient now. Whoever maintains the
devpak could talk about it more, but i can't remember who that is, I don't
believe it's officially supported, unlike the MSVC, and MSYS packages. I had
thought there was a generic Mingw package too, not 100% certain about that
mind you.

> Using MSYS2 to install a Linux environment in Windows so you can use a Linux
> compiler is a joke. This needs to be done right and using Dev-Cpp was the
> right way to do it. If your best advice is "you are on your own", then
> Allegro is a dead project or it needs to be.

Allegro 4 is pretty much dead now. Allegro 5 though is not, and has working
packages for MSVC, MSYS, and MingW iirc.