Re: [AD] What does ALLEGRO_PIXEL_FORMAT_ANY_NO_ALPHA mean?

[ Thread Index | Date Index | More lists.liballeg.org/allegro-developers Archives ]


Choosing a format like RGBA is not correct. Choosing a format like RGBX (which is identical to RGBA of course as far as OpenGL is concerned) is correct. So no action is probably required as far as I'm concerned.

I think the original problem was with GLX... if I look at the output of glxinfo, all the visuals with visual/dep 24 show colorbuffer/a as 8. And in ex_display_options it seems I cannot create a window when alpha is required to be 0. Most likely that's just a bug in our GLX code and not a limitation in GLX itself, in which case we should fix it. GLX is rather finicky though and as that "new/old" glx code shows being too picky with visuals may end up with Allegro not being able to create Windows at all :/ I always felt we should by default not use our glx visuals selection code and just create a default GLX window (and do the selection if and only if the user has set any display options). Anyway, that's a separate issue.

Also, back in Allegro 4 times 24-bit formats were very stupid (and slow) because of word-alignment issues, but that's just historic - but I think it's the reason we have the RGBX formats.
​
We also may want window transparency at some point, in which case it will be important to actually have the alpha channel for the back buffer.



Mail converted by MHonArc 2.6.19+ http://listengine.tuxfamily.org/