Re: [AD] WIP compressed texture support patch

On 12/09/2014 11:33 PM, Trent Gamblin wrote:
I'm not very familiar with compressed textures, but are block width and
block size standard sort of things in this domain? For example would PVR
compressed textures be able to use al_get_pixel_block_*? If they're specific
to DDS, does it make sense to have such generic names for them?

Just to answer this question, most texture compression algorithms do
seem to work with pixel blocks of various sizes that are compressed per block.
Although this gives lower compression rates than whole-image compression,
this allows faster decompression in hardware.

Below are a few non-patented compression algorithms we might want to support later
that also work in a block-wise fashion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_Scalable_Texture_Compression
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ericsson_Texture_Compression

i'm particularly interested in ASTC since it seems it will also work well for pixel art.

Kind Regards,

B.