Re: [AD] Git help

On Sun, 07 Jul 2013 23:57:50 -0600, Trent Gamblin <nooskewl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> A fellow named Jonathan Lilliemarck contacted me a few days ago with a git
> repo where he separated the Allegro java code into a library. I've checked
> this out and made some changes to it, making it build a jar and then
> unrelated changes to fix the example. How can I get this into Allegro's git
> and preserve the authors? It is up-to-date as of maybe 1 day ago.

Here's one way.  The commands are off the top of my head so beware.

You can add the official repo as another remote repository:

    git remote add official ssh://USERNAME@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/p/alleg/allegro

Fetch it:

    git fetch official

I'm assuming you've prepared the commits in a local branch called "5.1".

    git checkout 5.1

Make sure the changes are on top of the official 5.1 branch:

    git rebase official/5.1

Double check:

    gitk

Then you can push the local "5.1" to the official repository, under the
same name:

    git push official 5.1

Peter