Re: [AD] switching to git, 2012 edition

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 14:09:46 +0200, Elias Pschernig <info@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 14:07:00 +1000
> Peter Wang <novalazy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > The @example.org names are still on the 5.0 branch.  I ran the
> > following script to fix that, plus Trent's username, and normalise my
> > email address. How should I upload my copy?  Just push it on top of
> > the current one?
>
> Sure.

It's done now.

For future reference, it was a bit more complicated than I thought.
I had to log in via the shell server and edit the config file in
/home/scm_git/a/al/alleg/allegro, temporarily setting
receive.denyNonFastforwards = false.

I did not use git push --mirror.  If I understood correctly, that would
have created a new remote repository called 'origin' on the server
containing all the branches that I had filtered, rather than updating
the existing branches.  I used a similar script to [1] to push the
branches individually, then pushed the tags as well.

> > > It does seem to have all of the branches and tags. The old
> > > branches/5.1 branch is now the master branch. We could probably
> > > name it 5.1 instead of master but unlike SVN-without-trunk as we
> > > had before, a git-without-master appears to not be such a good
> > > idea...
> >
> > Really?  It's not a big deal, but I like being able to write
> > 'git diff 5.0 5.1'.
> >

> Well, I guess it's only as bad as not having "trunk" with SVN. So I
> don't really mind if you change it. I just seem to remember that git-svn
> didn't like it when I renamed my "master" branch - but we won't
> use that anymore :)

I renamed the master branch to 5.1.

The server repository contains some unwanted branches and remotes
and tags.  To be deleted.

Peter

[1]: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5984428/how-to-delete-the-old-history-after-running-git-filter-branch