[AD] Android requries locking full bitmap at POT

I have this one Android, and it's not unpopular or cheap, it's a first gen Galaxy Tab. I've come to find out that glReadPixels will CRASH without warning if you call it with anything but the next POT higher than the whole bitmap, starting at the first pixel. Does anyone know if there's some way to predict this? I've never heard of it before. The man page for glReadPixels says it's OK to read outside the bitmap, those pixels will just be undefined, but that's not really the problem.

So, if this is completely unpredictable, what should I do? I didn't want to add full lock every time on Android so I just modified my game to do that. But if that's what we want I can easily do it. The other options are, let it crash, or do device detection and make it depend on the device being used (with 4000+ different Android devices this may be futile).

What do you guys think?

Trent