Re: [AD] native menus

On 20 Jun 2011, at 15:56 , Elias Pschernig wrote:
> Nice. Will be especially important under OSX since if I remember right
> the MAC Store guidelines require you to have certain menu entries to
> pass validation.

Important to check. Note that we do programmatically create some "standard" menu entries already, which may be enough to satisfy those guidelines (haven't checked though).

> I wonder if that can work under OSX - the menu seems to be per-process
> and not per-window there.

Yes.

> E.g. in XCode with all its separate windows
> the menu stays mostly the same no matter which window is selected. If
> someone implements this for OSX and this really is a problem we probably
> need to tell the user to call al_set_display_menu again in response to
> window-activated messages.

When I did something with generating menus from code (not for Allegro, but could probably be adapted for this) I did figure out how to add menus and menu entries (fairly easy) but I didn't find out how you can remove a menu again. As far as I could tell you can't, or at least not easily. I think you also can't change the order of menus (which is a problem, since we create the "Window" menu when the program starts, but it should be created last in order to show up at the right where it's supposed to).

Anyway, I can look into doing this for OS X (it's really something I would like to add), but not until next week or so at the earliest.