Re: [AD] standard path updates

On February 28, 2011, Peter Wang wrote:
> On 2011-02-28, Thomas Fjellstrom <tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I should have tested better. RESOURCES_PATH is incorrect, at least when
> > the binary is installed in a system dir.
> >
> > It decides to give:
> >
> > RESOURCES_PATH: /usr/local/bin/
>
> This is the expected behaviour now, and is documented as such.
> We discussed it somewhere, but it's late and I won't look for it.

I don't think it was actually discussed fully.

> > It should probably give something in $XDG_DATA_DIRS, which one to pick is
> > probably a bit hard... maybe which ever one contains the
> > org_name/app_name dir?
>
> Basically, it's unreliable.  Allegro can claim that's where the data
> lives, but unless the user actually puts it there, it won't be found.
> With the current compromise, at least it will work in the usual cases.
> If a program wants to respect Unix conventions (including overriding
> data paths with configure) it's actually easier not to use
> al_get_standard_path().

Thats just it, the game doesn't expect unix. It just wants to find its media
when run on unix. Its a multi platform game. Having to add yet more ifdefs was
the reason I even suggested the api call in the first place. Its supposed to
let game developers avoid having to worry about that in the first place.

It really isn't that unreliable. If the game binary is in /usr/bin the data
pretty much has to be in /usr/share or /usr/games.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx