Re: [AD] standard path updates

On 2011-02-28, Thomas Fjellstrom <tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I should have tested better. RESOURCES_PATH is incorrect, at least when the
> binary is installed in a system dir.
>
> It decides to give:
>
> RESOURCES_PATH: /usr/local/bin/

This is the expected behaviour now, and is documented as such.
We discussed it somewhere, but it's late and I won't look for it.

> It should probably give something in $XDG_DATA_DIRS, which one to pick is
> probably a bit hard... maybe which ever one contains the org_name/app_name
> dir?

Basically, it's unreliable.  Allegro can claim that's where the data
lives, but unless the user actually puts it there, it won't be found.
With the current compromise, at least it will work in the usual cases.
If a program wants to respect Unix conventions (including overriding
data paths with configure) it's actually easier not to use
al_get_standard_path().

Peter