[AD] [ alleg-Bugs-3109312 ] DLL hijacking

Bugs item #3109312, was opened at 2010-11-15 12:15
Message generated for change (Tracker Item Submitted) made by tjaden
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=105665&aid=3109312&group_id=5665

not just the latest update.
Category: Windows
Group: 4.9

Initial Comment:
I believe Allegro is vulnerable to DLL hijacking due to calling LoadLibrary with unqualified file names. An attacker may ask the victim to open a file with an Allegro application that the victim has installed. Also in that directory is a malicious copy of a DLL that Allegro loads at runtime. This could over a network share, and the malicious DLL may be hidden.

The solution would be to ensure that we only load DLLs from "trusted" locations: the system directories, or the directory containing the application executable or Allegro main DLL (if possible).