Re: [AD] A5 FontAddon plans for embedded font?

On Wed, 2010-10-13 at 21:18 +0200, Dennis-Busch@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Are there any plans on embedding a default font (like in Allegro 4)?
>
> Is someone perhaps already working on it? Or are there any plans on
> porting parts of the old font routines(non TrueType stuff)?

Which parts do you mean (besides the embedded font)?

> Would you have any objections to include within the library a
> function that creates a default bitmap font from a small hard-coded
> byte-array (to be included within the lib) if someone (say me for
> example) wrote such function?
> (*)
>
> e.g. something like "al_create_builtin_8x8_bitmap_font()"

Certainly could be useful.

> I would greatly appreciate such default built-in font for purposes
> like displaying debugging information on screen without having to
> create and then load an external font file first.
>
> (*) I thought of taking and porting the byte arrays found in Allegro4
> "font.c" and writing a function which would create a bitmap from that
> in the format expected by "al_grab_font_from_bitmap" and then call
> that and return the result (after destroying the temporary bitmap).

Yes, and as long as it is a separate addon there would be 0 overhead
when you don't want it (probably it's small enough that we could even
just have it in the font addon). Anyway, I guess it needs to wait for
5.1... if the 4.9 branch really is in strict feature freeze we could
finally open the 5.1 branch now. Unless we want a complete development
freeze until 5.0 is out to keep the temptation for anyone to work on
anything but bug fixing as low as possible :)

--
Elias Pschernig <elias.pschernig@xxxxxxxxxx>