Re: [AD] get rid of ALLEGRO_MINGW32 and so on?

On 2010-05-31, Thomas Fjellstrom <tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On May 31, 2010, Elias Pschernig wrote:
> > Basically as I said in the 4.9.20 release thread on allegro.cc, it makes
> > A5 distributions awkward if each differently built DLL needs a different
> > set of headers even though the DLLs are compatible.
> >
> > So, I think we should remove things like ALLEGRO_MINGW32 and use
> > __MINGW32__ and so on instead which the compiler defines for us. Are
> > there any apparent problems which would arise from that? If not I'll try
> > make a patch for it.
>
> I think the main thing it does is make allegro itself easier to maintain.
> Inside its own code, you just use ALLEGRO_* defines, and not the myriad of
> platform specific defines that may change between OS and compiler versions.

I agree.

> Though I'm not entirely sure right now why they can't just all be stuffed in
> a single header, and ship that single header instead of several. That way
> all the code using ALLEGRO_* doesn't have to change, and we still get a
> single header.

Not sure what you mean, they are all defined in alplatf.h right now.
In some (all?) cases they could be defined like:

#ifdef __MINGW32__
    #define ALLEGRO_MINGW32
#endif

It would be nice to separate out the public and private headers.
The public headers should be invariant across installations.

Peter