[AD] Addons and al_free and non-public functions

I'm a little confused about when to use al_free/al_malloc and the non-existent al_realloc (can someone add it in?) in the addons. Should addons use those functions preferentially? How about the core, should it use those instead of _AL_MALLOC and the like?

Also, when I was removing ALLEGRO_PRIM_COLOR I noticed that I had to use the _al_add_exit_func function, which is naturally not a part of the public API. I copied this usage from the font addon, and I'm sure many other addons have something like this too. What's our policy about using these non-public API functions in the addons? Should we just make many of those functions public? Or perhaps because these addons are bundled, they get special privileges? I also thought that using the non-public API resulted in issues with dynamic libraries (since the non-public API's are not wrapped in the magic macro).

-SiegeLord