Re: [AD] implementing seek

<tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx>wrote:
> > On April 7, 2010, Peter Wang wrote:
> > > The function you alluded to earlier was cleaner:
> > >     ALLEGRO_FILE *al_fopen_slice(ALLEGRO_FILE *f, size_t length);
> > >
> > > perhaps combined with memory buffering as an option, for underlying
> > > streams that don't understand backward seeks.  Maybe also mix in
> > > read/write permissions.
> >
> > That could work. Could also think about sub files, like A4 had.
>
> Oh, PACKFILE_CHUNK. I always thought those were chunk :P But if we want
> it to be easy to deal with multiple files concatenated togethin into a
> single file I guess they will make life easier...

Hmm, I seem to recall now that they needed some form of metadata present
didn't they (ie: a length stored)? I really don't think thats necessary. Was
really thinking about just a virtual sub file, like a sub bitmap. And
al_fopen_slice would do the same thing (just a matter of terminology, file-
slice vs sub-file)

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx