Re: [AD] SF.net SVN: alleg:[13312] allegro/branches/4.9

On 25 April 2010 10:39, Thomas Fjellstrom <tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'm not sure I can see how xrandr info fetching can cause any serious cpu
> use, and even then audio just shouldn't stutter these days (least I find it
> hard to get audio to stutter even when both my cores are pegged, amarok and
> X/KDE can be locked up solid, but the audio will still play).

I think it has to do with analogue VGA connectors.  IIRC the flickering happens
when the analogue outputs are used (even as secondary monitors).  Maybe the
information it needs is not readily available so it uses some brute force
probing technique on those monitors.

> I suspect something about your gfx drivers, or version of Xorg. Though I'm
> not sure how we can work around that properly. Or if we /can/. As I
> mentioned, xrandr will probably need to be inited at startup once we support
> listening for xrandr change events (so we can send events when things like a
> switch out happens, etc).

The problematic call is to XRRGetScreenResources().  Maybe we can set up
just enough of randr to listen to the events without calling it.

Peter