Re: [AD] PA on Ubuntu 9.10

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 9:56 PM, Paul Suntsov <siegelords_abode@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As is, the driver fails to work on Ubuntu 9.10. Interestingly, if I remove the if (state == PA_SINK_SUSPENDED) check, it seems to work flawlessly.

What does that check do? Is it safe to remove it altogether?

Since PA plainly never works properly, the PA developers added a way to suspend it and use the underlying sound hardware directly (intended for cases where you need latency < 1 second or so :P). I don't remember the exact way but it was something like:

pa_suspend my_program

It would then allow my_program to directly use ALSA/OSS (and stop all sound playback by PA in all other apps while my_program is running).

The mentioned check tries to detect when we are running with pa_suspend so we would use ALSA/OSS instead in that case. Of course, as everything with PA, pa_suspend doesn't really work... so, yes, probably best to get rid of the whole check.