Re: [AD] auto detection of audio driver

On Sat, 2009-09-19 at 00:53 +1000, Peter Wang wrote:
> On 2009-09-18, Milan Mimica <milan.mimica@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Matthew Leverton wrote:
> > +/* The following list is used when autodetecting the audio driver to use.
> > +   The first one that returns success is used, hence order is important. */
> > +static const ALLEGRO_AUDIO_DRIVER_ENUM audio_drivers[] =
> > +{
> > +   ALLEGRO_AUDIO_DRIVER_DSOUND,
> > +   ALLEGRO_AUDIO_DRIVER_AQUEUE,
> > +   ALLEGRO_AUDIO_DRIVER_OPENAL,
> > +   ALLEGRO_AUDIO_DRIVER_PULSEAUDIO,
> > +   ALLEGRO_AUDIO_DRIVER_ALSA,
> > +   ALLEGRO_AUDIO_DRIVER_OSS
> > +};
> >
> > I believe OpenAL should be put last on the list. Someone (PW?) said the stereo
> > mode is broken.
>
> The official (still?) and outdated implementation is broken on Linux.
> OpenAL-soft is fine.  OpenAL on Mac is fine.

The sample implementation has been officially deprecated but distros
seem to be picking this up slowly. Debian/*buntu, Arch and (I *think*)
Fedora have already switched to OpenAL Soft. OpenSUSE is still shipping
the broken OpenAL SI.

100% agreed that OpenAL should be last on the list on Linux - it just
adds latency there. On the other hand, it's probably a better solution
than DSound on Windows (OpenAL may be accelerated on some chips). No
idea about Macs, but it should be pretty well supported there.