Re: [AD] auto detection of audio driver

On Thu, 2009-09-17 at 18:38 -0500, Matthew Leverton wrote:
> Attached is a patch that changes the behavior of auto detection for
> audio drivers. Instead of trying to load exactly one driver known to
> exist at compile time, it attempts to install each of them one at a
> time. It installs the first one that succeeds.
>
> Audio drivers typically fail quickly (immediately in most cases), so
> this shouldn't introduce any undesirable delays. However, the patch as
> implemented does remove the verbose error message that details the
> name of the driver that failed. To me, that's a non-issue, as now the
> auto detection tries them all, and if you specify a single one, you
> know which one failed.
>
> This new method would allow Linux systems to try PulseAudio first, and
> if that fails, go on to OSS or Alsa.

I believe that's how it is already working (albeit coded somewhat
convoluted). So, the patch definitely looks good as it makes clear
what's happening in the code - but unless I fooled myself somehow while
testing my pulseaudio detection patch earlier, there should be no
functional change.

--
Elias Pschernig <elias.pschernig@xxxxxxxxxx>