Re: [AD] Planning 4.9.10

On 13 Apr 2009, at 8:58 , Elias Pschernig wrote:
I don't think there should be a problem. The "main" function already was inside main.m - so basically instead of the END_OF_MAIN() macro the OSX port now has this:

Yes, but it shouldn't by in the dylib, which I think it might be right now. We need something like liballeg-main.a (or liballeg-main.dylib?) Hmm... evil plan here: maybe we can treat "magic main" as an addon in some sense?
Having thought this, I think I like this idea.

The only problem is Windows where there simply is no "main" function, instead
the program entry point is WinMain.

That's the other thing I wanted to look at: merging in the patches that were posted to make it possible to use a regular main() in Windows.

At least that's how it is in A4. Someone said there's a compiler switch to make
mingw recognize a "main" function

From what I recall, MinGW actually works with either of them just fine. It's only MSVC that needs a switch (or #pragma) to use a normal main() instead of WinMain().

- but the question is, do we want to force
such a compiler switch,

I would, but we possibly want to allow users to disable it.

and can it also work with other compilers?

Good question. Apart from MSVC and MinGW, what compilers do we currently care about? Someone should check these.

Evert