Re: [AD] search path?

On Thu April 16 2009, Peter Wang wrote:
> On 2009-04-15, Thomas Fjellstrom <tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Ah, that wouldn't work well in a multi-threaded environment. I want to
> > > be able for something to spawn a thread, and that thread then opens a
> > > zip file and loads the data in it. The main thread should not be
> > > affected by it.
> >
> > Why would you change the fshooks for a single thread? Any zip supporting
> > fshook addon will have to know about the normal filesystem. so setting it
> > once at the beginning (init_zip_addon()) will do just fine.
>
> How would you do the following?  Assume a normal single-threaded program.
>
> - I want to load my game resources from .zip files.
>
> - I'm using a 3rd party GUI library which has skins in plain PNG files.
>   It uses al_load_bitmap().
>
> - I want read/write config files in memory buffers, as I will be
> transferring them to/from a game server over the network. (Allegro will not
> be handling the networking part, just the config files.)

Setup the zip file addon, and use as normal. You can also use the memfile
addon (since it doesn't mess with the global vtable) at the same time for the
memory buffers.

Any given global fshook addon should almost never make normal file system
access not work. Especially considering it'll need to access the file

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx