Re: [AD] unicode proposal

On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 11:43 +1100, Peter Wang wrote:

> So the user works with UTF-8 strings and Allegro will automatically
> convert to and from the "correct" encoding for the filesystem?

Yes, that's the idea.

> I don't think that will be robust on Unix/Linux where there is not
> necessarily _a_ filesystem encoding.  I have filenames in UTF-8 but
> occasionally end up with filenames in other (but ASCII-compatible)
> encodings.  I usually fix them up immediately but it's only possible
> because, say, mv, works properly even when filenames are not in the
> expected encoding.  It just treat filenames as raw 8-bit strings.

Hm. How do KDE or Gnome display those files?

> For Unix, I think that's what we should do as well.  No conversions.
> All special characters (e.g. path separators, globbing wildcards) are in
> the ASCII range so any ASCII-compatible encoding will work.  That means
> we might return filenames to the user which are not UTF-8, and they
> might try to display them.  I think they will just have to detect if the
> string is not UTF-8, and if so assume an encoding and convert it before
> displaying.  We can make that easy for the Latin-1 case.

Maybe we should just state in the documentation that filenames returned
by Allegro are "display names", i.e. you can use them for displaying the
filenames, but you can't expect that creating a new file with the same
name will overwrite the existing one (if non-standard encodings are
being used).

> For Windows, I don't know.  From what I can tell, filenames are stored
> in UTF-16 so converting to/from UTF-8 is possible, and probably the
> right thing to do so the user only has to deal with ASCII-compatible
> filenames everywhere.

I assume it's what we also do in A4 if the current encoding is UTF-8.

--
Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx>