Re: [AD] unicode proposal

On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 21:04 -0700, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:

> > I thought you get an ALLEGRO_FS_ENTRY for each file, so could use that.
> > If that's not how it works, maybe we could make it like that - so you
> > can get a "display name" for a file, but still retain the actual file
> > handle (with the internal name).
>
> Its how I've been intending to make it, didn't think anyone would like it
> though. But the handles returned from readdir won't be opened (but will be
> openable).

How does it work in Windows right now? Can I pass filenames returned by
al_fs_readdir to al_textprintf? My programs working differently under
Windows and Linux is the only thing I was really concerned about, not
the 1% of Unix systems with obscure filename encodings.

So if the answer is yes and the only time we would need a separate
"display name" is on old Unixes, I think now we should do as Peter said
- simply don't convert at all. al_textprintf already will replace
invalid UTF8 characters with �, at least when using the TTF addon - so
filenames look just like they do on the console with "ls".

--
Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx>