Re: [AD] colors addon

On 2008-12-19, Elias Pschernig <elias.pschernig@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Seems feature requests weren't forwarded to the list (now they should
> be, i filled in the email address). Anyway, what about this one?
>
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker2/?func=detail&aid=2300978&group_id=5665&atid=355665

If it was just the list of colour names, I would say no.
The colour space conversions, on the other hand, are worthwhile.

I still question the colour names though.  Firstly, I think they'd only
be useful for example programs where you don't care exactly what colour
you're getting.  Secondly, if you do care about what colour you're
getting, it'd be easier to enter the RGB components directly than to
look up the name (in general).  Thirdly, the annoyance in small example
programs is having to declare any initialise colour variables like:

    ALLEGRO_COLOR white;
    white = al_map_rgb(255, 255, 255);

This interface does nothing to solve that:

    int al_color_name_to_rgb(char const *name, float *r, float *g, float *b);

It doesn't return an ALLEGRO_COLOR directly, and you still have to
define the variable and initialise it anyway.

Peter