Re: [AD] proposed changes to sound API

On December 16, 2008, Matthew Leverton wrote:
> Before I submit any smaller patches, I'd like to propose some bigger
> changes to the sound API.
>
> http://wiki.allegro.cc/NewAPI/Sound/Proposed
>
> I don't like how the "simple" layer is made to be an all/or nothing
> thing. If the regular API is too difficult, then it is designed wrong.
> The changes I'm proposing would remove the distinction between the two
> layers while keeping the current behavior almost the same. In short:
>
> * Rename al_setup_simple_audio() to al_reserve_sample_slots().
>
> * Provide methods to get/set the default mixer.
>
> * Rename ALLEGRO_SAMPLE to ALLEGRO_SAMPLE_PLAYER
>
> * Rename ALLEGRO_SAMPLE_DATA to ALLEGRO_SAMPLE
>
> * Support WAV files out of the box.
>
> The average user would just reserve somes slots and use al_play_sample().
>
> If you need more than that, you could install your own voice and
> mixer, set it as the default, then reserve some sample slots. Thus,
> you can still use al_play_sample() for your basic samples, and set up
> an ALLEGRO_SAMPLE_PLAYER for each of your samples that have more
> complex parameters.

I have a couple comments:

Wouldn't it be better to have the reserved sample slot number given to
al_install_audio, I'd imaging that al_install_audio would reserve a default
number, then a call to reserve_sample_slots would change it for no good
reason. imo, it'd be better to just tell the system how many you want, or -1
(to use the default number) on init.

And this sample id thing, this is what voices in allegro 4 were. And is what I
assume a ALLEGRO_VOICE is. Voice's are the playing instance, SAMPLEs are the
loaded sound.