Re: [AD] 3 minor suggestions about our cmake build

On December 30, 2008, Peter Wang wrote:
> On 2008-12-30, Elias Pschernig <elias.pschernig@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > 1. static/debug examples?
> >
> > Right now, it seems a bit arbitrary what examples I get if I build
> > multiple library versions at once. I think we also should compile
> > multiple versions of the examples in that case, and always name them
> > accordingly, so:
> >
> > ex_blend
> > ex_blend-debug
> > ex_blend-profile
> > ex_blend-static
> > ex_blend-static-debug
> > ex_blend-static-profile
> >
> > 2. Why build twice by default?
> >
> > I think only the shared release build should be built by default, having
> > everything compiled twice by cmake as is done right now likely will look
> > strange to new users. (And everyone who does serious development will
> > have to run cmake-gui and check the "debug" option, so they certainly
> > can do that for the much less likely case that they also want the static
> > library.)
>
> I don't mind if you change it.
>
> > 3. Why the GRADE_* variables?
> >
> > Having finally read the cmake documentation, it seems they always assume
> > that there is only one build type (CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE =
> > Debug/Release/RelWithDebInfo/...) per output build directory, and
> > especially when talking about VC they seem to discourage a solution like
> > our current GRADE_DEBUG/GRADE_STANDARD. Should we follow them or keep
> > going with our custom GRADE_ variables?
>
> When I wrote that, I didn't know it would cause problems with VC.
> I like being able to install the debug and release configurations in a
> single step, but it's not important enough not to go with the official
> way of doing things.  So yes, change it.

Its only official because VC and CMake are broken. They aren't able to build
more than one version at a time without changing settings. It rather sucks.
But it would probably solve some issues in our cmake system if we dropped all
the fancy stuff.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx