Re: [AD] deadlock in 4.3.10plus svn

A third option would be to use an XSync/XNextEvent loop instead of
XMaskEvent. It will eat up the few events until the MapNotify event
which haven't been processed yet by the background thread, but at least
works around the bug.

Not having investigated the issue, using XSync/XNextEvent sounds reasonable in this case. What other events would happen while waiting for the X window to be mapped? In the worst case you could store the other events and then put them back on the X queue (I'm assuming there is a function for this although I don't know it off the top of my head).