Re: [AD] END_OF_MAIN removal patch for msvc

On November 18, 2008, Stefanos A. wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 16:41 -0700, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> > On November 18, 2008, Stefanos A. wrote:
> > > Would this solve the problem? Is this worth it when compared to the
> > > END_OF_MAIN hack? Any catches?
> >
> > Thats what END_OF_MAIN does on OSX.. But that api might not play nice
> > with X or Windows...
>
> Any reason to hide this from the user? This is how modern operating
> systems work, the single process / single thread / no reentrancy model
> of DOS no longer holds.

Well it was to maintain compatibility with the OLD api and all old games. make
things easy to port and understand. the public 4.x api wasn't a large change
over 3.x. the internals however were drastically changed.

> This code works fine on X11 and Win32 (simply raise the callback
> whenever you hit an idle event). Unless you were referring to something
> else entirely...?

Oh I just mean it looked like you were saying to put the user's code into a
separate thread. and some systems may not like that. especially if they try to
access anything system dependant...

I think the best approach is to either go entirely event based, or ask the
user to poll allegro (which can be done by putting a hook in
"al_wait_for_event", or providing a al_update_allegro()).