Re: [AD] Streams, VFS etc.

On Tuesday 02 September 2008, Peter Hull wrote:
> I was just wondering about the state of the VFS/ file streams stuff
> since the latest code seems to be taking file names as parameters. I
> seem to remember we talked about using something like a PACKFILE*
> instead (as later versions of 4.x do) to allow loading from zip files,
> etc.
>
> Pete

Yeah, the code I've been working on has an AL_FS_ENTRY type, and lets a person
or addon replace all of the underlying functionality via a vtable, so you can
easily get allegro and users of allegro using the same VFS (like physfs for
instance, or maybe a version of allegro4's pack_* stuff. By default it just
uses a generic stdio driver. Once I finish up the base code, I'll convert as
must of the rest of 4.9 as I can.

The stuff I originally threw around wasn't too popular, was overly complicated,
and would have bloated allegro up too much, so I decided on a much slimmer set
of functions for allegro to include directly, and when ever someone (ie: me
maybe) gets around to it, a much larger and fancier VFS can be layered into
it.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx