Re: [AD] Missing field in keyboard and mouse events

On Monday 18 August 2008, Elias Pschernig wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 02:00 -0600, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> > Xine has some new xcb drivers, and some programs that use libxine depend
> > on the xcb version (phonon I think).
>
> The example code I've seen looks really nice - and it would be easy to
> completely port the current code. Just replace each xlib call with a
> corresponding x11 call - at least on my X11 install here xlib is just a
> layer on top of xcb anyway. Probably could even do it with (a lot of
> ugly) #ifdef magic to have both xlib and xcb work - but that would be
> pointless. If we want to convert, then only to completely abandon xlib.
> So the question really is how widespread it already is. Does anyone here
> not have support for it?
>
> One thing though, just when I thought you can't do much worse with
> documentation than X11 (except alsa), well, XCB is a new low. Behold
> their complete official API documentation:
> http://xcb.freedesktop.org/XcbApi/
>
> (There's XML files describing the protocol and therefore all commands,
> so supposedly there is a way to auto-generate docs from that, but the
> XML itself is hard to find and there's no description how to create docs
> from it.)

Most distros I think have, or are switching to the xlib over xcb wrapper. And
even if they haven't yet, xcb should be useable along side xlib.

Maybe we should make a query on a.cc to get linux users to test xcb on their
distro? And of course tell us what distro, and what release they have (of the
distro and xorg).