Re: [AD] Question about versions

On Mon, 2008-08-25 at 00:30 -0600, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:

> Already with 4.9 we've seen at least one case of "bad things" happening when
> this policy wasn't followed. Recently with the audio code, KittyCat wrote a
> rather in depth spec, coded a bunch, and sort of just stopped, then someone
> came in to "clean" it up a little and made massive changes overhauling the
> entire audio code base, which has recently been semi-reverted, through a copy
> of the original KC code into a new addon, so this one section alone has caused
> an enormous amount of extra work due to two of the original submitters dumping
> code (yeah, the changes that were made to the original audio addon were
> applied in one large commit, making it hard to separate it all), and
> disappearing.

Nah, don't use this as a bad example - goalieca was the maintainer of
the audio addon at that time, he did a lot of work on it before and
after that big commit. And his commits are all ok, he made many before
the split which now are also in the KCM addon, and we do have all the
commits from after that simplification commit, so it's easy to see any
fixes which were made which also could apply to KCM.

Back then also nobody else was likely to care much about the audio addon
or the decision to simplify it, so I don't think it's bad at all how
things worked out - especially now with tjaden stepping in and creating
the KCM addon. So we get to review the decision from back then and
choose which one we'll keep.

--
Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx>