Re: [AD] ALLEGRO_NO_ASM broken completely on windows

On Nov 3, 2007 7:58 AM, Peter Wang <novalazy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2007-10-17, Milan Mimica <milan.mimica@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >  Peter Wang wrote:
> > > I don't think there will be (or should be) another calling convention.
> >
> >  ok :)
> >
> >  Attached a new patch, with some notes in build instructions about #defining
> >  ALLEGRO_NO_ASM symbol when building user programs.
>
> Committed.

I haven't been keeping up with all this. But are there now even more
variations with different names for MSVC?

[release, debug, profile] * [assembly, c] * [static runtime, external
runtime] * [static, dynamic Allegro]

For a total of 24 possible combinations? I'm looking at this from a
binary distribution standpoint. Of course only a subset of those
combinations are useful.

Regarding the other windows compilers, DMC doesn't build the ASM
version. Of course gcc can build either, but most people have no
reason to disable ASM. [Does the same compatibility issues exist as
with VC?]

What is the plan for ASM in 4.4? Can it just be dropped completely?
Maintaining all these versions and names is annoying. If it cannot be
dropped, can we at least drop it in VC++ and just name the DLLs
alleg44vc.dll (for VC)?

--
Matthew Leverton