Re: [AD] 4.2.2 schedule

On 2007-06-19, Colin Ward <lists@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 19/06/2007, you wrote:
>
> >> Could I give you the source code for the src/amiga directory that I
> >> have been working on?
> >
> > Sure.  It's too fresh for 4.2.2 though.
>
> Ok.  So I guess you will put it under the 4.2.1 branch for now?

4.2.1 is a release, not a branch, so no.  I think the options are:

- If we plan to make a 4.2.3 release with the Amiga port:

    (1) You commit your changes and continue to work in the 4.2 branch.
    If your changes are not disruptive (which they shouldn't be), there
    may be code for an Amiga port ending up in the 4.2.2 release, but
    that's okay.

    (2) Create a branch for making the 4.2.2 release ('release
    engineering').  Meanwhile you work on the 4.2 trunk.  Once 4.2.2 is
    released, we merge back.

    (3) As in (2) but the other way around.

- If we don't plan to make a 4.2.3 release with the Amiga port:

    (4) Create the 4.3 branch now.  You commit your work into the 4.3
    branch, and we merge from 4.2 to 4.3 later.

    (5) Wait until 4.2.2 is released, then create the 4.3 branch.  It
    saves a tiny bit of merging work but you have to wait.

I think we have to let the 4.2 branch die after 4.2.2, otherwise bug
fixes will need to be committed to three branches at once.  And I think
very few people will care about an Amiga port, so it'll be fine if they
have to download an "unstable" 4.3.x release if they want to try it in
the near future.  So, (4) or (5).  It's up to you.  I'd pick (4).

Peter