Re: [AD] Deprecated functions

On Sat, 2007-06-23 at 14:29 +0100, Colin Ward wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Just a quick question about something that I don't quite understand.
>
> If one of the aims of Allegro is to not change the API in such a way that
> breaks old software, why are certain functions marked as deprecated in the
> header files?  Are they going to go away?  If so this breaks the API.  If
> not then why mark them as deprecated?
>
> Maybe I am missing something here.

Well, usually, deprecated functions are broken in some way - but we
couldn't just remove them or fix them, as that would break programs
using them. So, in order to not break compatibility, we marked them as
"DO NOT USE THIS FUNCTION ANY LONGER" for new code (by making them
deprecated and remove them from the docs) and added a replacement which
fixes whatever was wrong, but kept the old (broken one) in for
compatibility.

--
Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx>