[AD] various questions about events (4.3)

I've been familarizing myself with the 4.3 stuff recently. I haven't
really kept up on any of it, so I don't know much about the changes. I
have some simple questions regarding events:

* Can users create their own event sources or is it limited to built-in ones?

* Can there only ever be 32 different event types? (It looks like they
are masks.)

* What do mouse.dx, mouse.dy, and mouse.dz represent?

* Are events the only official way to get input? For instance, is
key[] considered to be in the compatibility layer? I just ask because
events can be both useful and unwieldy, depending on the situation.

--
Matthew Leverton