Re: [AD] 4.2.1 is up, and a version number proposal

On Sun, 2006-11-26 at 20:16 +1100, Peter Wang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've uploaded 4.2.1 now.  I'll leave it to other people to announce it
> or whatnot :-)

Thanks, most excellent. I'll try and draft an announce for alleg.sf.net.
And #allegro already had the release announced for this weekend for some
days :)

> I'm also proposing to institute a fourth version number component.
> If there are any "trivial" problems with the 4.2.1 release, then we can
> follow up with 4.2.1.1, etc.  Trivial problems are build system bugs,
> [major] documentation stuffups, or the problem we had with blit.c and
> djgpp in 4.2.0.
>
> Note that the fourth version number component won't be reflected in the
> API at compile time or runtime.  Therefore it's only suitable for some
> types of fixes, which I guess will be decided on a case by case basis,
> if the need should arise.

[..]

Sounds good to me.

> Although, I don't actually expect many more 4.2.x releases.

Yes, we really should concentrate on making 4.3.x releases more and more
useful now, working towards a 4.4.0 release sometime in our lifetimes
still :) (And myself I'm all motivated to contribute to that - just need
to convert the motivation a bit more into actually working on it..)

--
Elias Pschernig