Re: [AD] 4.3 display update methods

On Thursday 10 August 2006 04:38, Elias Pschernig wrote:
> Ah, ok. So my scenario simply would allow to draw to the front buffer -
> but probably a better implementation would draw to the back buffer in
> any case.

Right. :)

> That would be a special case though, which we don't need to care about
> in Allegro. If I can get a handle to a window of another application and
> draw to it, then that's not a problem of the application this window
> belongs to.

Yes, but it's still a possible scenario. Saying "the front buffer will be
retained" when it may not be is false, regardless of the cause. If Allegro
doesn't protect against it, it shouldn't gaurantee it.

> #2 Provide update events. Under Windows and OSX, those would never be
> generated. But it would allow users to optionally deal with the case of
> drivers (old X11) where window contents need updating.

This would be the optimal method, IMO. If a display can get invalidation
events, it should simply pass them right into Allegro's event queue. I don't
see how this could be that hard, really.