Re: [AD] Windows unicode filename support

Chris napsal(a):
On Wednesday 03 May 2006 13:54, Michal Molhanec wrote:
Oops, sorry, I've send bad file. I'm really sorry for that.

That patch is a bit overdone, don't you think? ASCII is too limited to properly display many characters, even with codepages since you can only have one set at a given time. You're still limited to less than 256 characters. IMO, Unicode (UTF-8 or UTF-16) is the way to go, and Windows has support for UTF-16, so we should be using that.

Unfortunately Win9x doesn't support Windows's Unicode functions properly, but those systems can continue to use the ASCII functions they've been using this whole time. Win9x doesn't lose anything, and WinNT/2K/XP gain Unicode character support.

You could merge the patches, I suppose, but I really don't see the need. Win9x are old, and inherently less functional. The code that was there worked. This patch adds (unnecessary) complexity, and only benefits the handful of people that use extended characters in filenames and can't get WinXP, or even Win2K.

whatever, just don't pass utf-8 to windows functions. i personally think that the patch is quite simple but that's just IMHO

--
Regards,
    Michal

ICQ# 175762750