Re: [AD] Indexed datafiles

On 2006-01-05, Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think the attached patch updates the version matching for the new
> 4.2.x policy. For example:
>
> - You compile with 4.1.12, then only linking against 4.1.12 is ok. For
> WIP versions, we provide no binary compatibility at all.
>
> - You compile with 4.2.1, then linking against 4.2.1, 4.2.2, ... are ok,
> but against 4.2.0 is not. (I.e. we do not provide forward binary
> compatibility anymore, so you can link against a newer DLL, but not
> against an older.)

I think enforcing a DLL upgrade for every single release might be a
little too strong.  Even though we may break forwards compatibility with
some releases, (1) it probably won't happen that often, and (2) most
users won't be affected anyway.

A compromise may be to ask Allegro users to check for a minimum version
of Allegro (from a forwards-compatible series) that their program
requires.  We would have to make that check easy to do, of course, but I
expect most programs don't need such a check anyway.

Peter