RE: [AD] Question about 256 colors modes

Hi Vincent!

About this "puzzling" palette, this is the way we are
using them:

1- The graphics dude gets all the 54 * 2 images
generated in true color using his creativity.

2- He then create one single image of all of them, and
then he creates the "master" palette.

3- Once created, he then applies this "master palette"
to all the 54 * 2 BMPs to convert the true color
images to indexed colors.

4- We can have palette change on the gaming machine,
but because of a timing issue -it's not a PC, but I
use the same program created with allegro on PC to
test the sprites and graphics-, we prefer to set one
single palette at booting time, for all the 54 BMPs on
one monitor, and eventually a new "master palette" for
the 54 BMPs on the second monitor.

This "index 0" issue make us add a new step before
applying this "master palette": checking it has the
transparent color (in our case BLACK) at index 0 and
in our proprietary hardware the low level drivers API
does not have this limitation, you can set which color
index is transparent (up to 4 "transparent" colors in
fact).

As you stated, the artist can do this checking and
correct the palette, but my question was to avoid this
specific step.

If the answer from allegro gurus is "too complicated"
or "doesn't worth it", it is ok for me, but when you
are working with a "graphics guru" -in fact he's a
talented illustrator, inbetweener cartoonist and a
large etc.- you try to simplify everybody's life hehe.

Thanks for your answers again!

Kind regards,

Hugo Caro
Gaming Software Developer